Your boiler is among the most essential gadgets in your home. Whether it’s to offer hot water in the summer season or for both hot water and heating in the winter season, you can’t do without it for very long.
So when you need to change your boiler, you want to make sure that you get the best and most reliable one. However exactly what does a new boiler cost?
How much does a new boiler cost?
New boilers aren’t low-priced. However the market is substantial and there are a variety of brands and types readily available to select from. Depending on the brand name, you might pay between £500 and £3,000. It’s a big investment, so you need to make sure you know the truth.
Don’t be deterred by the high price tag. You can make the expenses of replacing and installing your new boiler back in the savings you’ll make on your energy costs. A new boiler will be much more efficient, which means that you will not need to whack up your thermostat.
What length of time will it take to make back the costs of my new boiler?
If your present boiler is old, it’s more than likely costing you cash. So the new boiler cost will probably to be outweighed by the savings you will make on your energy bills.
According to the Energy Saving Trust, changing your old boiler with a new A-rated condensing boiler with a programmer, room thermostat and thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) may save you:
|Old boiler rating||Savings per year|
These savings are based upon a semi-detached house.
A common boiler with thermostatic radiator valves will cost, typically, around £2,300 excluding radiators. Nevertheless it’s a good idea to get a range of quotes to obtain the best price.
Can’t spend the money on a new boiler? Try these methods first
A new boiler is a substantial financial investment, so you might not want to splash out straight away if your boiler is still working.
The Energy Saving Trust encourages performing some more cost-effective energy saving treatments:
- Get your boiler serviced.You should ask an engineer to service your boiler once a year to guarantee that it’s running smoothly. They will find problems prior to them being a catastrophe.
- Draught-proof. Savings: £25/year just from draught proofing your doors and windows.
- Insulate your walls. Savings: cavity walls – £150/year. Solid walls: £255/year.
- Insulate your loft. Savings: £135/year.
How can I tell if I need a new boiler?
If your boiler hasn’t broken down yet but you know it’s getting old, it may be time to replace it. There are some standard approaches to alert you to if it’s time to change your boiler:
- If you can’t control your heating. To help you save money, you need controls on your boiler. If you do not have a flexible timer or a thermostat, you’ll be tossing money away on heating when you do not require it.
- Your boiler is beyond economic repair work. If you have had an engineer look at your boiler and they’ve notified you that it will cost a lot to fix, it’s time to think about a new boiler.
- If your boiler is G-rated for efficiency. This means that your boiler is less than 70% efficient.
- If your system has a dry cycle. This is a function on older boilers which means that if the heating is on but your house is at the preferred temperature level, it will not turn off. Instead, it will send out the extra heat to an overflow radiator, which results in you warming your house when you do not need to.
- If your system has a consistent pilot light. This is the blue flame you can see on some boilers. This is a waste of energy and is a common feature among older boilers.
- Your boiler is on the floor. A lot of boilers are on the wall nowadays, so it’s likely that your boiler is old and inadequate.
- If you’re thinking about selling your home. People do not want the trouble of changing a boiler as soon as they move in, so you might get more for your house if you change the boiler.
Remember to get a range of quotes
The new boiler cost depends upon lots of elements. This includes how simple the replacement will be or the sort of boiler you choose. The best thing to do is get a range of quotes so you can get a full view of the marketplace and get the best rate.