If you think you might have a gas leak, you should:
- Open your windows and doors
- Turn off your gas at the metre (unless it’s in the basement)
- Avoid using electrical appliances or flames
Once you’ve done this you should call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999.
When you call the emergency line you’ll be asked a series of questions, including:
- The address of the suspected leak
- The location of the smell and how long it’s been there
- The number of people at the property
- Whether your neighbours are affected
Once you have given the helpline all the information they need, they will send out a gas engineer to investigate the problem as soon as possible.